FREESTYLE CLASS & REFRESHER
Once you know you’re safe and you can maneuver with confidence and ease, you’re ready to learn strokes.
The Freestyle class builds on the confidence you learned in the first classes and teaches the sequence of steps needed to put together a whole freestyle: balance, line, kick, propulsion, and breathing at your own pace. Learn turns, drills, swimming toys, and ways to make workouts and lap swimming fun. Yes, once you’re in your body, it only takes a week to learn the freestyle.
Learn how to use swimming for exercise (workout construction), lap swimming etiquette, and how to use a pace clock. Daily video of you for maximum feedback. Learn Freestyle and the culture of Lap Swimming.
Ten 3-hour classes over 7 days. Discount $75 if you register 4 months early.
- Must have taken our BEGINNING class.
- Must understand “being in your body”
- Must be fully present, confident, and able in shallow water
- Must be in your body for trying all “toys” in shallow end (sitting on bottom, falling forward, somersaults, handstands, whale jumps, seal rolls, rolling from front to back and back to front). You don’t necessarily have to be able to do somersaults and handstands: just be comfortable trying them.
- All of those skills must be done without speed.
- You may learn open turns or flip turns.
- If the class you’re taking is in deep water, you must be free in deep water first.
Schedule is approximately:
Day 1: 9-noon and 3-6 p.m.
Day 2: 9-noon
Day 3: 9-noon and 3-6 p.m.
Day 4: 9-noon
Day 5: 9-noon
Day 6: 9-noon and 3-6 p.m.
Day 7: 9-noon
Lodging, especially when classes are in the San Francisco Bay Area: we recommend that you stay in a hotel nearby so you can devote your week to swimming and absorbing information, and reduce stress of commuting and household responsibilities.
Sarasota: Homewood Suites, Fruitville Road is nearest hotel. Free shuttle to class.
In Sarasota, we go sailing on one free afternoon if you’re interested.
If you don’t have fins, we recommend TYR Split Fins or Aquasphere Fitness Fins. Test them in the pool and make sure they’re comfortable, not too stiff. Allow time to replace them, just in case. It’s VERY important to have fins that work on Day 1. If these don’t work for you, buy full-foot rubber snorkeling fins. We can recommend some.
The pool will be 82-84 degrees. A wetsuit vest or shirt may be appropriate for warmth. Virtually everyone has worn them in the past. Rent is $14 for 1-7 days, or buy your own for class and use afterward.
PLEASE BRING THESE ITEMS TO CLASS:
- two bathing suits
- dark goggles if class is outdoors (otherwise, regular goggles)
- rubber full-foot snorkeling fins if you have them
- sun block
Pool photo shown: Soda Aquatic Center, Moraga, California
Three sessions of 3 hours each: the last 3 sessions of the course. Sarasota, FL or Moraga, CA
CLUB Miracle Swimming (offered from time to time)
Tune up your freestyle if you haven’t swum in a while. 3 hours: 30 minutes on land, 2 hours in pool, 30 minutes video playback on land.